Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2018

National Unplugging Day: 2018

While scrolling through Twitter late one night, I came across an extremely interesting article in the news. It was an article about National Unplugging Day last year. I'm not sure why I am just reading this article, or even why it showed up on my timeline but I am glad it did because it was so interesting. Last March, on National Unplugging Day, several Americans attempted to detox from their social medias, cell phones, and all technology... And it did not go so well for most of them. Unplugging from these things is extremely difficult for the average American. I tried to apply this to my life while reading the article about how Americans were having actual withdrawals from their devices for 24 hours. I like to think that I would be able to do it fairly easily, but honestly, I don't know if it would be so easy for me. I counted the amount of times I checked my phone in a day and I stopped counting when I hit 25 because I was so shocked. I check my phone without even realizing it sometimes, and when I'm not on my phone, I have the ability to text off my laptop. I have so many mixed feelings about technology and our society. On one hand, it's amazing all of the things we are able to accomplish with the touch of a button, but I am often left wondering how many missed opportunities there are because we are too busy with our technology. I talked to my parents about when they were little, and it's amazing that they used to just leave the house in the morning, show up to their friend's house with no warning and not come back until dinner... And they did all of this without their parents worrying about them. Society is so dependent on technology and cell phones nowadays and it's crazy! I want to try to go 24 hours straight without technology and I think you should too so you can see how long you last, it's crazy to imagine how hard it actually is.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be the first one to admit that I love social media and technology, but I remember the days when it wasn't everywhere. One of my favorite memories was after school in 5th grade just walking to my buddies house to play Call of Duty. Parents wouldn't worry if I didn't come home till 7 because they knew that I was out with friends. I also remember a storm we had a while back that knocked out power for a week in which we could only use the generator for food and one plug. It was actually a nice thing to have people come over and actually play board games or card games instead of video games or watch TV. I also think I could go a whole 24 hours without technology, but it would still be hard of my love of communicating.

    ReplyDelete