Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Comparisons In Social Media

As a teenage girl who has had several body image problems and confidence issues, I find myself comparing my body and looks to those on the internet almost every single day. I know that this is an extremely common problem in our society today and that thousands of girls do this same thing on a daily basis. This is one thing that I despise about social media and the way women are portrayed. I see all these girls' posts on Instagram with about five different filters and edits applied to them and I begin to wonder why we do this. Why do we feel the need to put up a front for others to see? The best people are usually the genuine ones, the ones that put everything out there as it is and how it should be. However, for some reason, we all feel the need to edit our butts to make them bigger or our noses to make them smaller, along with the singular pimple that we think is huge but is really microscopic. Instead of embracing our flaws and telling other girls that it's okay to have them, we do everything we can to cover them up and point them out to others. This whole societal problem is something that I think everyone needs to work on. If we all work on our personal positivity, the stereotypes will eventually go away and we can stop comparing ourselves to each other and to celebrities. I think that this is a problem that will not go away for awhile, but one person at a time, we need to stand united as women who are perfect just the way we are.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion. Social media effects girl's sense of beauty both in a positive and negative way. This problem will not be solved until all social media disappear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where you are coming from, people always want to look like the good looking people on social media. I completely agree that we need to stop thinking we need to change ourselves via filters. Though I do still look up to those people that are good looking and healthy. I look at people like Cristiano Ronaldo and The Rock for tips on how to look good. Though even though I don't look like these guys I still love the person I am.

    ReplyDelete