Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Home?

There is a major discussion I have had with several of my friends here at Ohio Northern in the last few weeks: the discussion of the word home. When I'm talking about my house in Swanton, I refer to it as home. We talk about how we can't wait to go home and how we miss our family, and that is what "home" is for the time being. However, when I talk to people from my hometown, I refer to Ohio Northern as my home. When I went home one weekend, I kept referring to Ada as "home". I would say things like "I go back home tomorrow." Little things like that having me thinking about what home is to me and I've realized one major thing. Home is not a place or a specific town or house, home is who you are with. Home is a feeling and people, not a destination or location. I used to get so upset when my older siblings referred to college as home but now I totally understand. It's not replacing my original home but my friends here have become another family and it has become a second home to me. Honestly, if your college doesn't feel like home, I think you should consider transferring because it is an amazing feeling to feel at home when you're away from home. I love having two "homes" and I know how big of a spot ONU has in my heart already, and I have four more years here. Words can't describe how excited I am for these next few years at my second home.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree your idea, "home is who you are with." During fall break, I went to Chicago, and when I went back to ONU, I really felt at home! It has been only two months since I arrived ONU, but a spot ONU is already my second home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think home as in college. Ever since I came to ONU, I feel this is the place that I can call as home too. This is the place where I'm exploring, and this is the place where I feel relaxed. My friends call the college is the second home, but for me, this is my first home.

    ReplyDelete